The workflow functionality in ReadSoft Online (RSO) facilitates the invoice approval process in your organization and allows you to keep traceability of the traffic of documents. In a manual approval process, your documents fly from one department to another and the final “Thumbs up” from the approver is usually the result of a long journey.
Before implementing approval workflows in RSO, we suggest setting up a meeting with your Accounts Payable Department to discuss the current process. In most of the cases, there is no written policy and the criteria for assigning an invoice to a specific person for approval, are based on human perspective or common sense, rather than a standard procedure.
Reserve a meeting room, get some coffee and make sure to discuss the following topics:
Define the scope
– Which invoices categories do you want to implement in the approval process? (Services, Travel, IT, HR, etc.)
– How many approval processes are actually in place for these invoices? Define them one by one.
Define the criteria behind
– What are the criteria for each approval process?
1 List the rules and the exceptions.
2 Specify whether it are subjective (based on human perspective) or objective (based on the content of the invoice) criteria.
– Are there any required sequences or dependencies in the process? Example: the invoice must be approved by person-A before it is sent to person-B.
– Are there constraints or special conditions for every approval?
List the people involved
– Who are the people involved in each invoice approval process? Also list any exceptions, i.e. the occasional approvers in special cases.
– Will all these people have access to RSO?
Determine the level of automation
– Is it possible to start each approval process based on the captured invoice data?
Summarize this information in in a report, because it will be your blueprint to start the configuration in RSO.
The answers to the questions above are the pieces you need in order to complete the puzzle:
- The scope is the combination of the workflows and their potential steps.
- The criteria are the conditions to be evaluated at workflow and/or step level.
- The people are the users, roles or groups to be created in RSO.
- The automation: the possibility to start the workflow automatically or by user intervention.
Check out our previous post for more tips & tricks in ReadSoft Online. In case of questions or special cases, do not hesitate to contact us via our support team or your account manager.